Thursday, June 22, 2006

have fun at pride without me

For gay hubris day gay pride day 2004, I did my laundry. In 2005, I left the city for the weekend. This year, I'm flying to Winnipeg for a wedding.

One of these years, I hope to get back into a "pride mood." For now, I've had enough of:

  • the performance stage near my apartment that makes the building vibrate for 2 days
  • the crushing, gawking, flip-flop-wearing, sunscreen-slimy crowds
  • the overflowing portable toilets with the interminable lineups
  • the excessively cautious beer garden rules (also with interminable lineups)



    Here is a picture of me in 1997, when I had a great time at pride. (It should be noted that I didn't live right in the heart of Church/Wellesley then, so I had a place to "escape" to if I needed a time-out.) Who's that person next to me? I've digitally altered his appearance, but I can tell you that he might be one of my favourite "aunts."

    Have fun. Wear condoms. I'll see you Tuesday.
  • 14 comments:

    Timmy said...

    Have fun at the wedding.

    YJA looks a little drunk. Did you take advantage of him, or were you a gentleman?

    Midniter said...

    Wow, you're tall.

    tornwordo said...

    Have fun in Winnipeg.

    Salem said...

    Mloyd,
    I hope to enjoy only one day of said annoyances. It's plenty. Have fun in Winnipeg.

    Tim,
    Mr. Aunt will not be at work today and Monday so that he may better celebrate the 'gay christmas'.
    In his absence, I will let you in on this:
    YJA is never a little drunk;
    YJA doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do.

    Jason said...

    I want it to be over. Why can't I come to Winnipeg?

    indygirl said...

    You're like the gay Scrooge, aren't you? Ruining everyone's Christmas. Shame on you.

    Dead Robot said...

    I avoid Pride too. I blame really bad Lesbian poetry at 9am outside my window.

    Salem said...

    The worst was the year I had the lesbian volleyball tournament in the park, outside my window on the Saturday. I had just laid down for my nap, and they start with the music on the loudspeakers. Three f'ing hours of 'Black Velvet' and shit.

    Adorable Girlfriend said...

    I've tried three times, how am I supposed to wear this condom? Some instructions for a girl next time, please.

    Have fun at the wedding and get drunk on the bride's parent's dollar.

    Butchieboy said...

    AG- It goes on your penis.

    your judgemental aunt said...

    I think that was the year I had a 10am party so we'd all be drunk in time for the parade. It worked.

    Anonymous said...

    I told one of the security persons at the Black Eagle that I had to go "pee pee" and I was able to jump a line. AB

    Riss said...

    What, laundry isn't a great way to celebrate special occasions?

    Normlr said...

    I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one Pride-d out.